Sunday, January 31, 2016

ME AND CARLY SIMON

I was traveling to Sydney, Australia in July of 1990. As an auctioneer I was curious to know of the Australian auctioneers method of marketing. As I walked through the doors of T.J. Hooker, Ltd I heard a familiar voice singing "NOBODY DOES IT BETTER" Of course this was the voluptuous voice of Carly Simon. how alluring and sensual.


Four years later I received a note from Carly Simon inviting me to a party on Martha's Vineyard..."1,000.00 a head for admission. This didn't scare me as I knew Carly Simon worked with Jackie Kennedy in the book editing profession. Carly's dad was co-founder of Simon & Shuster. I really wanted to attend go so I called the promoter saying "I don't have $1,000 but I do have $500 all going to Governor Mario Cuomo. It would prove to be a fantastic hit for yours truly.


The invitation said how the Governor liked blue so I dressed accordingly. I was the first at Carly's doorstep. As the door opened, Carly Simon beamed and said "I guess I'm your hostess, won't you come in?" Immediately I noticed a lithograph of JFK  sent by me lying on her vanity. I said "I know you work with Jackie O and felt you should have this." Carly said 'It touched my heart." Wow.


As we sat down to have dinner, I sat next to Kitty Carlisle...."What's My Line?.. "To Tell The Truth!"
I felt completely at home as we "chowed down." and ate corn on the cob. We chatted at length. Darrel Hall and Carly Simon entertained the crowd of Democrats after we witnessed a friendly Mario Cuomo and son Andrew, The dynamic duo sat next to me! Phenomenal. The Governors speech was electrifying..."How was that, Andrew?" he asked!


That's What Dreams Are Made Of."


Today, I visited with my neighbors Gary and Donna. We reminisced about their daughter named Carly. I asked if they still had Carly Simon's autograph I obtained while on Martha's Vineyard"


'Yes, they  responded and Gary hustled up to this living quarters. Sure enough,  written on  Global note reads " TO CARLY WITH LOVE FROM A BIGGER CARLY." Can you believe that? Whenever I hear Carly Simons songs I reflect on that moment under a gibbous moon on "The Vine


yard" as ballet dancers revealed a certain culture I never had seen before.


"THANKS CARLY... "You're not so vein!

1 comment: