Sunday, January 24, 2016

MY BOOTS ON THE GROUND

 May 14, 1966.. Fort Knox, Kentucky,   Company D-15-4.. Basic Training  U.S.Army

My  Army life began on Friday 13th at the Spencer Draft Board 161 and a boot in the ass to Springfield Induction Center. In parting with my parents , Rita Ida said ' If you can journey to Saint Louis to college you can serve your Country in the Army." Earlier attempts of joining the U.S. Marines and training at Quantico, VA failed. The "jarheads' just couldn't find room in the May class. "Can you wait until August, Bob?" asked William B. Williams, Recruiting Officer.' Can I get out of this I asked! 'Yes, just disenroll  with a letter.

I took the Low Road  in my military time, was trained as a medic, and had many opportunities to shine. The most profound awakening I had as a Private was to awaken the first Kentucky-in-May morning to the sound of "boots on the ground." The thundering herd of 55 recruits, running in unison told Bob Potvin ''You're in the Army Now!" Black combat boots and the yelling of the Drill Instructors was my wake-up call of my life. I was age 25, a college graduate, single, an insurance adjuster "without a plan for life" I was a midnight cowboy.

As I moved into a military existence I had my black mop sheared like Son' Josh's scalp is today. I weighed in at 172lbs,,baby fat and a smile on my face. Fort KnoxBasic was the best part of it all. Wise-guy and friend, John B. O Sullivan and I made book with our rebellious ways. Push-ups were second nature as Sgt. Roy really played a great role in shaping our characters... "a real prick!"

I liked the rifle range. "No brass or ammunition, Sgt" It  was our entre' to the rifle range in prone positions. Human silhouettes popped up in a distance. Bang, bang, bang. I always tried  to hit the furthest image away.1,000 feet?  On the day of qualifying I got Sharpshooter, not Expert, as I was under the weather. Every morning at 6:00 it was boots on the ground! Every morning I devoured a 'Mountain Dew" to quench my thirst. I felt more alive every day as the idiots in rebellion to Vietnam missed a good thing: serving their Uncle in uniform...discipline!

But my thirst was for truth. "This weapon is made for one reason exhorted Sgt. Smith.".to kill another man." I never dwealth on this, per se. Fort Knox in Spring taught me how to lose 16 pounds, march to the cadence and enjoy the bluegrass hills of Kentucky. drove the stake-bed water truck on a 20 mile hike as I was the only one in my Company with an Army Driver's License! Also, I attempted to be a chaplains assistant but failed to perfect my wishes. Instead, it was boots on the ground as I spit polished my boots even night. Uncle Albert was a moving force in my wanting to serve. Albert was 'a professional soldier." Also, Brasso for my belt buckle, a furlough home to mother and father with a full OD duffle bag and a life's with a plan: My boots were made for walking."

To be continued.
SYMBOL OF AMERICA

THE VA IS HEER TO HELP US


ME AND MY STETSON



BASIC BOYS POTVIN..O'SULLIVAN & MANDOLINI





No comments:

Post a Comment