Thursday, January 7, 2016

CATCH A FALLING STAR

Singer Perry Como capitalized on the study of astronomy back in the ancient Fifties. Como sung "put it in your pocket and never let it fade away." Tonight I've been mesmerized by the abyss. Clear as a bell the heavens touted zillions of stars. Ursa Major and Ursa Minor and Orion The Hunter and others twinkled on Birch Hill. No moon to distract me, I looked for the Space Station but couldn't find it. Son Josh and the kids were not home.

This Thursday has been cordless. Another mouse and a cordless keyboard grace my set-up. I love it. The transfer to the Logitech transfer went without a hitch. It is strange in maneuvering my "Mickey without a tail." I was told by my man Roland to return the blue mouse. This set-up came with both  a mouse and a keyboard.

All of this modern technology evokes the days of Smith-Corona, IBM and others. I recall when my sister Jan needed a typewriter for high school studies and Muriel Coughlin. In 1953 my folks bought a portable typewriter and case for $50.00 Today that would be in the hundreds. Red and black typewriter ribbon was the cat's meow. I believe I took it to college. I recall borrowing the Cooke's portable to type a term paper. At St. Louis U. it was he same the same: 'Very poorly written though you did cover most of the facts.' Thanks a lot. The well-off paid to have their papers typed professionally.

In Vietnam some of my letters were typed by me. I became a master of the keyboard by the time I wrote for The New Leader Newspaper. in the Mid-Eighties. I bought a typewriter from Wentworth Business that from Roland's Office Supply in Worcester.. I paid $2,000 for an IBM Word Processor with a little monitor. Then in 1995 I shot my whole wod with a Dell PC, A Lexmark printer and a Sony monitor...$4,000. I have never had any trouble spending money in my life.

Wireless is a whole lot different than cordless. Garage door openers, computer mice, keyboards, headphones, satellite television and cordless phones have captivated our imaginations and ease of comfort. This Age has catapulted us not only to the Moon and back but to Mars and Pluto. Man is baffled by our current successes. The Wireless telegraph raised its head in 1890. The typewriter shift-key was introduced by Remington in 1878. All of my information comes from Wikipedia.

I did some more work on little Lilly's' Type Set for her birthday.

Well, tomorrow's Friday. The check is in the mail but may be caught on a hinge. Charter called saying my electronic transfer got caught in the mail box. OMG. My week has had wings. The happy busy bee.

What I need now is a good old-fashioned blizzard. "Johnson" has prognosticated for such a tempest in Mid-February. What good is an "open Winter." My buddies at the body shops need word. I have four new tires as does Heidi on her spiffy Volvo wagon.

Maybe an early tub for the old man? My second night of Paxton flounder was even better yet.. melted butter, Lauries Seasoning and baked Georgia pecans from the Colonel. I dollar-cost-average in life. You win some.. you lose some. I am not even going talk about the Stock Market.....and the band played on!














No comments:

Post a Comment