Saturday, January 16, 2016

GOLD IS STILL GOLD!

 There's lots of speculation, negative and positive comments, and time to take a good look at what gold is. GOLD IS GOLD.

It is a bad rap to read accountings from "know-nothing-reporters" who think they know about gold and the tens of thousands of dealers who set up shop in 2009. I was one of them in rural Central Massachusetts. Historically, my interest in gold came as I was about to enter the U.S. Army as a draftee in 1966.. 50 years ago. At the time I bought Five Dollar U.S. Gold pieces. Upon return from service in Vung Tau, Vietnam I further invested in Twenty-Dollar U.S. Gold pieces: $360 for 4 St. Gaudens variety. Eventually I traded a couple of them for an antique potbelly stove. Gold for cast iiron. Not a smart move on my part.

As a trader I have always been intrigued by gold and silver. In both good times, gold remains gold.

we must remember all of the gold bugs across the Land and the world offered a service to the public. Smart people liquidated their gold and silver holdings for cash. Tens of millions of dollars were set in motion as bad times came the way of investors. Not anybody I know served people wrongly. True, hoarders are sitting on millions of dollars in Junk Silver. I know Sambolian Brothers in Boston as honorable smelters of AU. I was like the batboy as major of mall buyers redeemed millions.. but wait.. overheads choked the merchants... rent and labor. I, as a  sole proprietor took the advice of singer Kenny Rogers.....

Sure, I bought "bad" gold but so did everybody else. Nothing  humbling than to eat a gold filled item of jewelry you thought was 10k, 14k, 18k. It is like anything else in life. "Live and learn." A mentor told me more than once. "Never be in a hurry to make your next mistake as you will make it regardless." Sound judgement and a keen sense of justice reigns supreme in my business dealings.

As for the future of gold? Who the hell knows! Factor in everything in the world of 2016.. well, romance will always be with us..as will DeBerrs and diamonds. In 1968 I redeemed much of my cheap gold to buy an engagement ring for $800. No comment.

Today, I am still bullish on Old Coins as I have been since 1955. Quickly numismatics is moving from the front seat to the Peanut Gallery. Coin collecting is a greying hobby to include my bald head...wisdom, you know. LOL...Son Josh is catching up with me in the "hair department." One gift to my 5 grand kids will be some delightful coins of yesteryear. "What's an Indian Head, Pops?"
IT's money, kid!










No comments:

Post a Comment