Tuesday, January 5, 2016

THE HOMELESS IN BOSTON

I was touched by seeing homeless people on the streets of Boston on the coldest day of the new year. It brought sadness to my attitude about life in general. Near Haymarket Station I witnessed four younger homeless cuddled in blankets and makeshift cardboard huts. I asked their leader "What about the Cities shelters? "Their full" was his response. Earlier in my day on the streets of the Cambridge exit of the Mass Pike I saw an old man panhandler I know. I had One Dollar ready for him as traffic prohibited me from "donating." I have been told "1 in 80 cars give." I don't think people care!

At the Park Street Station I observed a lady .. a homeless.. about 30 with a brilliant red complexion. I reached in my pocket for my spare change and surprised her with my donation! "Thank you and God Bless you, sir." It was the least I could do. Hopefully she bought a hot coffee and a Big Mac?

According to Wikipedia there are 100 million homeless worldwide. I have seen homeless in Sydney, Australia, being fed by The Rotary from their little buggy. This touched me. Every service club in America might take this as an example. Contrary to the cynics, not all homeless are "crazy." They lack "roots", identity and security. I have seen homeless in Washington, DC and actually slept in a homeless mission more than a decade ago. I had hoped to find a Veterans' shelter. None existed at the time.

Homeless will die from exposure in this cold blast. I think middle-class Americans SHOULD feel guilty in ignoring the poor people down on their luck. And so many homeless I talk to ae so young. I tell them "the one job you may get is that of being a JANITOR. I have been there and was successful in getting 3 or 4 janitor jobs. All institutions need janitors and many refuse to clean up others crap. This pisses me off.

'Hate your homeless but don't forget to say Grace." Anywhere and everywhere the downtrodden can not be cast by the wayside by your BMW or Audi. We don't need lip service; we need compassion. Homelessness is a social malady as I see it... and it is nothing new. Pope Francis says 'don't forget the poor.' Maybe the Vatican sell off their gold and practice what they preach. As Glenn Campbell sings "Why Don't You Try A Little Kindness?" 

NO PICTURES REQUIRED TO EMPHASIZE ABJECT POVERTY!Boppot2002@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment