Thursday, January 7, 2016

INDEPENDENCE

Independence can give you freedom. When you are independent you are like the child learning to walk or talk. It's amazing Independence = freedom... free to say what you want... free to come and go as you wish knowing that with your independence can come responsibility.

In raising children you can train your kid to be independent. as opposed to having mommy or daddy "afraid to let go." I have mentioned this fact before imparted me by a Westboro attorney years ago. "Teach your child independence. Tough love.. firmness. .compassion. You are the "steering wheel" of your child's life. Children learn by your every act of interaction. Who is running your house? You or your child.

Well disciplined children will grow up confidently. I know this as sons Ben and Josh responded to me when they were young. I threatened them with spankings and "time out" in today's lingo of young parents. Give your kids wings like the robin red breast teaching her babies to fly.. truly an act of independence.

Even though today's world is upside down in some regards, independence can give your child options. "Do you want red or blue? Have them think. If your child is over 20 and living with you "Kick them in the Slats" as Mr. Urban once said to me. When I was 20 I boarded a Greyhound Bus on Front Street, Worcester to begin my life's journey. I knew I had to grow up... and I did. After graduating from college I went further...into This Man's army. Talk about seeing the world!

All of our lives are about learning and if we have learned properly, good parents teach us independence. If your child rules the roost you can be in trouble. Parents have multiple roles: Nurturing, loving, authoritarian, etc. Kids are supreme negotiators... but wait. .who is ruling the roost. And yes, let your kids fall.. and let them learn how to get back up on their asp! Spare the rod and spoil the child doesn't work for me. Cry baby, cry




baby.. dry your eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment