Friday, January 8, 2016

DAVE POWERS -- JFK'S BUDDY AND FRIEND

I don't think I could have contacted a closer friend of JFK than Dave Powers. I had natural door openers with "Red" Lee. I was received in the inner sanctum when we visited the Kennedy Library and Museum. It was in the early 90s when we drove to Dorchester and Columbia Point. Dave Powers welcomed  the Lees. Mary and Red by saying to Mrs.Lee









."Have a seat in the President's rocking chair!  I seized the opportunity to ask Dave Powers "What were a couple of attributes of John Kennedy? Years later I was recognized in giving my published answer in the USA TODAY.

"I liked "Jack" Kennedy for his sense of humor and humility." His message stuck with me all this time. In returning to the Kennedy Library I presented Mr. Dave Powers with a framed photograph taken by Morton Triggs, Photographer. He accepted it graciously and when I told him 'it cost me $35.00 he demurred to my gesture. "I didn't realize you had paid out money. Wait, here's a a souvenir for you, Bob: a replica of the PT 109 tie clip. The original clip bears "PT 109." mine says J F K Library!

Several years later Mr. Powers presented a 3 minute home movie of the fateful Dallas day in November. I wrote him saying how noble his presentation was. Several days later I received two complimentary tickets to the Kennedy Library! In years to come I have returned to the JFK Library and Museum 50 times or more as a Friend and job applicant! I'll say no more.

We need inspiration today in our political consciences. So long ago... so far away.....

While the Rich and Famous sell their" books for bucks" exploiting JFK my life's experiences are the real deal.I was the teenager growing up in North Brookfield schmoozing and working with Kim and Jake McCarthy, Francis T. Lee and Senator Phil Quinn. The Kennedy Legacy lives on and I am a proud "Frenchman" who licked their boots in admiration and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment