Saturday, January 23, 2016

THE PUNKS OF THE VIETNAM-ERA

What rimes with punk? SKUNK. Noisome in nature skunk best describes my vivid and lucid memories of being in uniform. It was at the Louisville Airport in July, 1966. As I boarded "Yellow Bird" to North Brookfield and a respite from military life, two punks.  him and her chimed 'Hey, this isn't fair" as I walked up the planes runway. Their message touches my 'patriotic soul.'

'WHEN YOU WEAR THIS UNIFORM YOU, TOO, WILL HAVE THE SAME PRIVILIGE!" Both of our status allowed us to fly for 1/2 price. Back in 1966 America's identity was being thrown against the wall by the PUNKS. As the barber said in Chicago: 'The hair is long and the buck is short." In reality many barbers folded up their tents. Long hair was in necessitating  styling.

Upon returning to civilian life, I started getting my hair styled by Patty in the Slater Building, Worcester. It was a new fashion. Even reservists sported longer hair styles. Today, Son Josh is balding and seems to love skin cuts. He likes cutting POPS hair. It's a joke with us. I used to cut Dad's hair and he delighted in the process. In college I was the "Dormitory Barber" at Clemens Hall for a silver Half-Dollar.

 Today, we seem to be blindsided by it all. But why? Is our self-esteem ebbing? Men dying their hair? LOL. So what ae we going to do? Hats.. knitted caps ae most fashionable at all ages. Naturally, I wear a hat as it is the "cheapest hair-piece" I can find. And, yes, I do have a couble of John B. Stetsons!

Everything seems to be upside-down in  2016 but maybe that's good! I know I enjoy being a "new and improved version of my old self. Stick with me.. the best is yet to be... a quote found on a brass sun-dial.








No comments:

Post a Comment