Sunday, January 24, 2016

FORT DIX WRIGHTSTOWN 2 months OJT

Fort Dix was a joke! Six hours away from Central Massachusetts saw my Buddy Jack and I return to the homeland every weekend. We were soldiers without a cause and loved the taste of beer. Better yet we discovered a distant dive we dubbed "Winchester Cathedral." It was a quaint, cozy joint we thought was far away from all lifers. Wrong. The bartender was a lifer.

"Swedis" owned an AMC Rambler. One night we sped by the MP station at 90 mph. We didn't get caught speeding and laughed off our hangovers.  Next day the shit hit the fan... almost.

We dark-wore green trousers, black low quarter shoes, tan shirts and a black necktie. As I swaggered the halls of the hospital a lady asked me 'Are you one of the new radiologists' she asked quizzically. LOL.. Jack Swedis flipped out  with approval for a lifetime. "No, I'm just me" I replied.

A Latino from Chicago.."Luna" didn't follow through on a promise to cover me one weekend. The E-7 NCO Sergeant, too flipped. "You don't know how close you've come to receiving an Article 15.. like a speeding ticket of sorts. Don't threaten me, please, sgt.

Then in a dilapidated old WWII barracks I dealt with another Lifer. He was chewing us out for this and that. Everyone took his crap sitting down. Not me."'Any questions gentlemen?" 'Yes sergeant!' I yelled back. "Why are you telling us to do this and that when the GD windows in the bathroom are broken and it's 10 degrees outside!" I had him by the nuts.

"I will do anything for you men. I will even tar my stripes off of my shirt for you." Touché, Robert L.

I found being a good soldier meant not taking any crap from anybody. Military life is not for sissies. It can be meaningful.. it can be lonely..it can be fun.

After a couple of months of OJT..(didn't learn a thing) and was known for "taking extra long coffee breaks.." my destiny would be in the details of my Orders. I was so sure of being assigned to an AFEES Station In Buffalo or some other outpost I was blindsided by receiving military Orders for Vietnam..1st Log Command. Swedis felt so bad for his friend: me. I could give a shit. In fact I went out and bought a big cigar, lit it,.. then got drunk. LOL

The reassurance by General Glenn Collins at Fort Dix told us recruits "You folks have the absolute best Military Occupation Specialty" in going to Vietnam...not to worry. And I didn't. When I broke the news to my loving mother she cried and cried and cried for a month. Her Bobby was going to Vietnam. My sister served a go-between..

To be Continued..

1 comment: