Thursday, November 23, 2017

REMEMBERING GENE WYMAN N.B.H.S. JANITOR

I ran into one of Gene's son just now at the Country Corner! Peter or Paaul? lives in Ware and spent his life working as a Letter Carrier. He introduced himself and this propelled me into my "Memory Lane."


North Brookfield High School was brand new as I glissaded from my "parochial education " to public. I recall George Dahlquist, George Sawicki, Anne Murphy, Emile Boucher, Ruby A. O'Coin, Muriel Coughlin, Constance Richardson, Ginger Mansfield, Larry Boyd, John Bullard, George Frizzell, Phillip A. Grover, Martin D. Leach, and others.


Believe it or not, Eugene F. Wyman was my best teacher. The Janitor! My dad drove me to school each waking day..early.I, in turn latched onto the man who could make a noise like an approaching locomotive..Gene's unique control of his vocal chords  gave us kids entertainment! We laughed and he launched.


In 1958 the Registry of Motor Vehicles in Boston issued an "E" Series of Vanity Plates. I was successful in obtaining my E6804 (Potvin household phone number!)I offered one to Gene and was successful in obtaining E4908! Uncle Al Potvin obtained E4519. Doctor Grace..the Advanced Number Plate Meiser has had a skew if these babies over he years. Louis and I love "low numbers."


After N.B.H.S., Mr. Wyman became the janitor at the Post 0ffice 01535.For years. His magnetic personality and enduring friendship is emblazoned on my spirit to this day. Thanks "E4908!"




Robert Louis Potvin
Box 11
West Brookfield, Massachusetts 01585
508-867-3360 Anytime











West Brookfield Common & Congo Church & Fountain


Tillotson's Home Rufus Putnam Rd.

?

Civil War Monument  Note Iron fence!

NBHS  Note Methodist Church  Grove St.

Central Street  Brookfield

School St at location of Bandstand

No comments:

Post a Comment