Saturday, November 25, 2017

MISTAKES 101

"Don't be in a hurry to make your next mistake as you are going to make it anyway. " Rocco Passante -Advertising Agent .. Town of Windsor


My transition from Big Business to working at the Town Hall in Windsor, CT was orderly. I knew I wanted out of Aetna and attempted to do a course in Public Speech at the Tobacco Valley Hotel. ONE GUY SHOWED UP! I tried promoting my class again Two people arrived "on time' everybody else was Tardy..... LOL.0


I knew I wanted my freedom versus job security. I rented an IBM Selectric with the round ball as I turned 35. I applied for other positions, unsuccessfully. I became a voracious reader and claimed the Windsor Public Library as my home. About 8 months later I was recruited by my neighbor, Jim Glass ...HR chief for the Town. One year .. a salary of $14,000 versus the $ 20,500 salary I walked from! 'How dare you with a wife and 2 kids?' OK Google! One guy and fellow Jaycee recognized my Entrepreneurial Spirit.


In 1976 the Computer Age was sprouting winds. COBOL and Fortran were all Greek to me.


The Town Manager, Al ILG  did me right.. he sent me to see ROCCO PASSANTE.. Advertising man. Sagely. We got along fine. He guided me to researching the TOWN OF WINDSOR Industrial site map. I loved it. My Canon FTQL 35 MM served me well .I bought this camera from Timmy Nason  -a "Vietnam souvenir for $125.00. It lasted 25 years!


As I look back to that experience which lasted until June I had time to line up my Crowell Decoys. I even interviewed with a claim manager on the North Shore of Boston...Some mutual. When I came I felt violently sick and vomited! "NO THANK YOU MR. INSURANCE" I was on my way to Freedom by being Self Employed.


All of my life's experiences to that point gave me the necessary aplomb to go it alone. 'Take This Job and Shove it"


As I see it too many Americans are stuck in a job retiring at their desk at age 35 and bullshitting at the water fountain. Production level D+! They are miserable....enough said.


ROCCO'S ADVISE WAS WONDERFUL. HE INSPIRED ME.
"DON'T GIVE THE TEACHER AN APPLE...GIVE HER A BAG OF APPLES!"  I showed him a copy of the New Leader. 'Where's your ad? Page 28.  'FRONT PAGE ONLY, BOB'.


It was my Camelot on Day Hill Road as I began my wonderful life ahead. Remember you can get to second base if you keep one foot on first~ take A CHANCE  as Bill Jankins once did! I.T.A.C. Industries..NB

HR Lady "Nobody quits a Class 32 position." Oh really?  I DID!




Sincerely,


Robert Louis Potvin Ret.
Aetna 87493
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585


508-867-3360

No comments:

Post a Comment