Saturday, November 11, 2017

INTERNATIONAL ANTIQUARIAN BOOK FAIR BOSTON . SUNDAY NOV 12, 2017

This year's Boston Book Fair is truly awesome. Antique maps remind me of my youth! 1n 1957 I traded Ronnie Sokol for an 1857 wall map of Worcester County. Steve , Ron's dad, had obtained the map in the purchase of the Shed Estate on Walnut St, North Brookfield. I, in turn, showed it to S.H. Kuniholm my Latin and French teacher at NBHS! He expounded "Fun, Potvin!"Connie Richardson, SHK's successor had a different opinion of the man who had halitosis! LOL.




Today I was in my glory. Manuscripts abounded with the "Merchants of Venice." Show Promoter, JULIE ROPER was very nice to me and guided me through the maze of Antiquarian book dealers from around the world. A particular wall map very similar to mine of my youth said "Hello!" .. one of CAPE COD. c. 1858.




I did not buy anything but I did see my friends at the American Antiquarian Society - my favorite. Curator of Children's Literature, Laura E. Wasowicz took a peek at my PICTORIAL HISTORY OF THE GREAT CIVIL WAR  1878  John Laird Wilson. As the AAS owns 2 copies I think the "Potvin Library" on Birch Hill will own it for posterity. Some things in life are PRICELESS. To see the faces of my grandchildren beam as I explained what The Civil War was in terms of CW statues, etc...priceless.


The show was not want for the best. And the age of smartphones and tattoos tells me beauty is only skin deep.




I have been a "show-goer" since John Hirbour and I took in smaller productions. Then in 1983 I promoted BLAIR HOUSE ANTIQUE SHOW in Sturbridge. When a foot of snow humbled me and 100 registered dealers, my Southbridge lawyer, S. Anthony Caprera, Esq expounded "BOB, THE SHOW GOES ON!" .. and it did. 500 attendees instead of 5,000! Live and learn.




Promotion of anything in the first 6 weeks of the New England year can be problematic at best. The show goes on alright...LOL.




Promotion of anything, from Presidential Inaugurals, is chancy. Do your best for this is all we can do.




TOMORROW IS A GREAT DAY TO ATTEND THE BOOK FAIR AT THE PRU! The antique wall map of CAPE COD is very alluring!




It's late and I say Good Night!




Sincerely,




ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
Blogger Emeritus


West Brookfield
 
 
Massachusetts



No comments:

Post a Comment