Saturday, December 31, 2016

GOOD EVENING VIETNAM - ALMOST 50 YEARS LATER

AFRS Radio Saigon ...remember when some young Vietnamese lady  played rock at 6:00 each morning? Robin Williams is gone yet Good Morning Vietnam is forever in my mind. Better yet I received a notice from the Department of Veterans Affairs dated December 18, 2016 claiming I never cashed a government check for $366.46 dated 10/15! my pension check was screwed up for months on end and apparently one such check was returned, not cashed.Merry Christmas, Bob! I must contact the VA with my NBSB routing number, etc. I hope so. Can use the money for new rear brakes on Rhonda Honda.


I have been working assiduously all evening on tomorrow. My front office is standing tall. Being organized can be your secret to tomorrow. If you live in a mess, well, a mess you live in."A place for everything, everything in its place!" This great age we live in generates more in the way of paper and it seems it will only multiply. I am proud of my abilities to "pay on line." Expeditious and instantaneous ..OMG.


Yep, 50 years since 'Nam came into my life. By contrast I was much older..age 24.5 when I flew the beautiful Pacific Ocean. There was so much uncertainty about things yet worry wasn't one of the things I dealt with. Screw it. Being a Medic was one thing and being in a secure Camp was another. VUNG TAU was the Social Capital of Vietnam..Social Disease capital, that is.


There was a lot of action in Back Beach, Front Beach, French Beach and Son-of-a-Beach. Many of us had lives in our "year abroad" and few took wives. A couple of Medical Doctors married Nurses. One even married an Australian!


The Australians proved to be my salvation. Friendly, intelligent, curious and more, this Fall I lost my Mate, Rodney Bryar to emphysema. Having a 50 year friend with an  International flair gave me the reciprocal.I owe his widow Mattie a letter.Tonight is the right time to write.


As I watch Good Morning Vietnam I will say GOOD EVENING!
 
 
 
 




















No comments:

Post a Comment