Tuesday, December 13, 2016

"I SAW MOMMY KISSING SANTA CLAUS"

Since 1952 when I was a fifth grader at St. Joseph School  North Brookfield, Mass am I haunted by the horrific death of my classmate, Donald St. Cyr. at Christmastime.


The one song "I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" will never allow me to let the memory of Donald rest in peace. He was a boy.. I was a boy..I lived.. Donald didn't.
He was playing with a friend. His friend handled Donald's father shot gun and with the pull of the trigger Donald went directly to Heaven.




Worst yet,  his little corpse was laid out at the Catholic Nun's Convent so 300 boys and girls could walk by and say "goodbye to Donald".




My memory serves me well in seeing the nuns in a moribund state of observance. They fondled their Rosary Beads in abject disbelief. Donald was gone!





Over the decades I visit Donald's grave. I think of how his young life was snuffed by a deadly slug  from a 12 Gauge weapon. How lucky we are to live. Remember little Donald St. Cyr and Little Jimmy Boyd singing the song that haunts me to this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment