Friday, December 9, 2016

MY WORLD AS REASONABLY CONTENT

I was at the Worcester Galleria two decades ago at Christmas time when I ran into an old friend. He happened to be Jewish and mused in observance of all the Christmas shoppers scurrying around. "What  fools!" Today, the frenzy of a commercial holiday as opposed to a religious holiday rings true to yours truly!




Having spent the better part of an hour in Ware at the huge Box Stores this afternoon  I couldn't help but to think of my late friend's assessment. The incredible array of  merchandise for sale in the name of Christmas blows me away. We glissade from Black Friday to the Night Before Christmas without giving things much thought. When I see fake Christmas trees for $300 something is radically wrong in our American value system!








Sure, I'm an old man yet I recall younger days at Christmas. The emphasis is on the wrong syllable.  Merriment granted, the overwhelming indulgences in stuff is superficial... and the ribald behavior of some leaves me wondering: have we missed the Christmas boat completely? I think so. Less is truly more and more is truly less!

No comments:

Post a Comment