Tuesday, December 27, 2016

MY GATEWAY ARCH MEMORIES

My Gateway Arch memories are many. From hearing about this new idea of an arch being built on the banks of the Mississippi upon my arrival in September of 1962 to our families return to Saint Louis in 1987, The Gateway Arch, in all of it's splendor is worth my crowing about!


Simply stated, the Gateway Arch is made of stainless steel. I recall witnessing sections come into Saint Louis on flatbeds from Des Moines.  As I grew in my ways of learning about St. Louis, the University and the City. the heritage of a Gateway Arch was imbued in my St. Louis soul. Section by section the arch was built. It seemed forever in the making!


Each year I returned from Massachusetts and voila: the two shimmering legs beamed in the sunrise of my Illinois morning. Yes, Virginia, there will be an arch some day! To say the least I was beginning to believe someday the keystone would be placed into perfection.


As I grew, The Gateway Arch grew. From an idea in 1933 to a reality on October 28, 1965 "when the exterior shell of the Gateway Arch was completed, Father Faherty's Dream by The River was real. I was bee-bopping between Chicago and Saint Louis each weekend and recall returning for the St. Louis - Detroit world series in 1968 to a completed edifice.. our own Eiffel Tower.. our Statue of Liberty in Stainless steel.
 But this isn't where my memories end!


In February of 1980 TWA touted "KIDS FLY FREE." and that is what Ben and Josh did! We were back to Saint Louis!


But there's more to my blog! October of 1987 saw the Potvins onto Victory! My main man, Richard Alphonse Fuller and Dr, Pappas saw "Bob and kids" back to the Gateway City. This time the Archway seemed ubiquitous to all of my photographs taken. I don't think any family endeavor can best this family  trip. From Bruins hockey players on the 707 on the return trip to obtaining  Mr. October's autograph and a gondola ride, again,  to the top of the Arch, It is my hope, someday, my grandkids will return someday  with their grandkids!


Meet Me In St. Louis!  Be sure to watch the Eero Saarinan story tonight on PBS.






No comments:

Post a Comment