Tuesday, December 13, 2016

THE DEMISE OF CORNER GROCERY STORES IN AMERICA

I was eyewitness to the death of family food stores in the Fifties! First, it was the First National brand, then  the Clover Leaf brand. Enterprises became impersonal. While butchers still cut up sides of beef and pork and wore white coats, the posture of grocery markets changed. They became very impersonal, as I recall. Their death knell was recorded on a chart in the back room. Annual sales recorded headed South. Hodes Market came to Spencer, MA and for years ruled the roost.  Rodzik competed with Hodes and all of these markets blossomed across America.


The brine vat still there for corned beef  yet attitudes changed as did the way of doing business. Bigger and better and even bigger and not necessarily better. "Coupon Hounds" just can't get enuf of the wrong stuff. That's their problem. I don't do Coupons!


Today, I am dazzled by the likes of Dollar General stores.People shop like there's no tomorrow. But why? 96% of the public buy toilet paper...LOL. Amazing how our habits change. Walmart has the American tiger by the tail. WOW.


My pitch on this blog is to champion the Salvation Army Thrift Shops. By spending at the SA you help the poor. Today my purchases include a small circulating fan to move heat from my kitchen, a small weather station, and a CD "Grammy Winners of 1995." The array of electronics at the Army is formidable! My wardrobe is complete and I pride myself in owning nothing but the best from "The Army," but you must be very discerning!


So where does all of this get us? Well, lighten up! It's Christmas and I'll join in.
Back to the SA...more fun for Bob!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment