Wednesday, December 21, 2016

THE VIRTUES OF COLLECTING POSTAGE STAMPS

 I have always taken my hobbies seriously and the pleasures of such are paying me dividends over 60 years later! Psychic income is not a term known by the masses but for me it is. On cold winter nights such as tonight, the pleasures derived from reviewing my most recent stamp collecting ring my chimes..


Tonight, researching National Air Mail Week covers of May 19, 1938, were special as I have a cover postmarked Woonsocket, RI! FDR & Postmaster General James A. Farley concocted a marketing program calling the masses use AIR MAIL. There was a certain intrigue to collectors s the air-mail envelopes came to life with cachets They touted the virtues of hometowns


Over the years I have met only one serious National Airmail Week collector; My esteemed and late friend and professor of Physics at Worcester Junior College:David O. Kubly. Dave was a man after my own heart! He flew air planes and had a sense of humor. I rewarded Mr. Kubly with two formidable collectibles: a huge photo of Air Force One I snuck at Green Airport in Providence and a catalog from Sothbey's The Otto Kallir Collection of Aviation History. I know he enjoyed both.


Anyway, stamp collecting can be done by all folks of all ages.The hobby is so instructive. After all of these years I still warm up to philately on a cold night! Some people collect only U.S... other's worldwide. But I am of the opinion the Computer Age and Forever postage together with gummed backs are changing the mix! So what.. or me it will be a lifetime hobby.Louis E. Roy, MD, late of West Brookfield, was my friend and mentor.


HOBBIES? What are hobbies?










No comments:

Post a Comment