Thursday, December 29, 2016

THE FUTURE OF AMERICAN ANTIQUES

By definition, an antique is 100 years old. As we turn another page in life's calendar, 1917 is what makes an antique. But wait. One hundred years ago the Ford Model-T automobile was the hottest thing around. Thomas Alva Edison, the Inventors inventor had cashed in many of his chips. Radios sported headphones and maybe, the American Yankee ruled the roost as Immigrants filled the borning rooms.


In my case four generations existed before me and none were antique enthusiasts. Nothing seemed "old enough" to crave. Maybe WWII was the turning point of enthusiasts? AS a young boy growing up in rural Western Worcester County, my neighbor as an Antique dealer! His father served in the Civil War. I distinctly recall mother saying "Rich people in their Cadillacs would drive into Mr.Wakefield's yard on a Sunday afternoon seeking treasures.


The quest grew as the US population grew. Post-war prosperity brought about a different breed of "Cat." Traditionalists sought Period furniture and furnishings. Old Sturbridge Village was born and old Henry Ford invested some of his fortunes in antiquity.


Then, mass-produced furniture to include Duncan Phyfe and Larkin Oak became popular. The hobby seemed to grow exponentially. Clock & Watch collectors congregated then Yard Sales were hatched.Amazing. No longer did folks pitch their antiques to the town Dump!


In the mid to late forties I used to pick the town dump with Mr. Wakefield. From a platform rocker to steamer trunks and oak umbrella stands to "all of the above" the antiques mix changed when folks realized money was to be had!


I retired my Aetna job at age 34. Gutsy and yes, rewarding... onward and upwards. In 1978 I founded Blair House Antiques! My Victorian abode was perfect! A Greek Revival embellished my efforts in everything. I was on my way.


Coupling antiques with auctioneering and rare coins gave me a everything a guy could ask for. But that was then. In meeting a Mr. Bosquet today at Sturbridge Antiques Shop I confirmed my perceptions: The world of antiques has changed and not necessarily for the better.


HAVE THE NEWBIES EVER DEVELOPED A SENSE OF HISTORY?


Connoisseurship comes to the sapient! from the get-go I have been a sponge in my learning habits. My first WARMAN'S was purchased at age 32. All of the Kopf Price Guides helped me immensely. As an appraiser for Shawmut Trust, Mechanics Trust, attorneys and individuals, I owed it to my clients to strive for Perfection. I never tried to be a "know it all." ... and today, with the PC I learn, I enjoy and I grow.


My advice to all, at any age, remains to study markets! The best way is right here in the the "Antique Belt " as the Late Nancy Lowe Gray, T & G Journalist used to espouse. Nancy was great and gave me some splendid media coverage "Potvin is a new breed of auctioneer!"... that was in 1984. Today, there are missions of  auctioneers, snipers and crooks.


It is a tough call when somebody  responds a profession of their love.


I think our Wild world of 2017 and the proliferation of stuff from the Orient and elsewhere has redefined "Antiques & Collectibles."  All you have to do is watch the PBS Video HUMANITY FROM SPACE! I have watched it 100 times.I know!







No comments:

Post a Comment