Friday, December 30, 2016

GET A HOBBY!

I once knew two Yankee Lawyers in Worcester: Robert C. and Stanley H. Milton! Located at 340 Main Street, these brothers were wonderful in introducing me to Casualty Insurance defenses. Better yet, they were complimentary to me and my interests.




Attorney Robert was a Philatelist. When we didn't talk insurance we talked about our great hobby of collecting stamps. Stanley was more the naturalist and even retired to Cape Cod. His interests was in collecting Crewell decoys.








When I retired myself from Aetna  in 1977 I recall Mr. Stanley  Milton's encouraging words: "When a man mixes his business interests with his hobbies he has the best of both worlds!" He was right!




In my soul-searching moments I found a "Henry David Thoureau " quote worth reporting:


IF ONE ADVANCES CONFIDENTLY IN THE DIRECTION OF HIS DREAMS
AND HAS ENDEAVORED TO LIVE THE LIFE IN WHICH HE HAS IMAGINED, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS Touche', Henry David Thoreau!


Your hobbies may be transformed into your business pleasures. Insurance adjusting provided me with the rudiments of the Business World. Specialized knowledge gave me a specialized vocabulary. As my purview of the world grew my interests grew.


Frankly, it was reasonably easy to glissade from insurance forms to Proof Sets. I was willing to make mistakes in my learning processes. My newly found love of antique-dealing brought many new acquaintances. I began to earn money and have fun... and yes, I worked my ass off in the meantime! Not only was I an antique dealer/auctioneer, I was an antique home restorer. I hedged all of my bets and that was 39 years ago.


Today, in the New World Order, my hobbies delight me in new ways. As it's always back to basics." Indeed, it is, and show me a hobby that wasn't healthy. Go for it, I say!


But I must credit one person in my quest to independence, in my Mid-life Crisis... It was college roommate Bill Gross who behest me "You should be an antique dealer!" Bill was right!


e saying goes



No comments:

Post a Comment