Tuesday, December 13, 2016

AN AUCTIONEER'S PERSPECTIVE

Recently, my 2003 colored  Panasonic VHS player is giving me a "retro" of my life in 1988! As an audio-visual type of guy, my office has turned into a menagerie of electronics.. and boy, do I just love all of the gadgets! From the latest and the greatest I am discovering how much the old stuff pleases me. One of the earliest is a Zenith AM-FM tube radio c. 1962 . Earlier I tuned into Bloomberg Radio from Hong Kong! But that's just the beginning.






My HDMI 1 Toshiba screen of 65 inches portrays the most magnificent digital photographs ever seen. Noted Boston Symphony Conductor John Williams is quoted 'The visual is more important than the audio." Mr. Williams is correct.


But when you have been at life as long as I have, memories of "noise" bring me back to 1945, at age 3, I played 78 r.p.m. polkas for Uncle Albert!






Fast forward to 1988, brother-in-law Ray Morin served as my camera-man with my VHS Camera. Tonight, I delight in turning back time to the way I was! YOUNGER!


I do believe these auction movies are reasonably unique.Fellow auctioneer, Kim Estes of Greenfield, MA helped me liquidate this quintessential  array of American antiquity.The estate came from Westminster and was one of the best I ever orchestrated under the big red and white tent.






I auctioned off everything from a Binns copy of the Declaration of Independence to a newer automobile.















I don't know how many folks realize the cerebration involved in a auction's research! Yes, you need a good back and a gooder brain! LOL.And there's no guarantee your clients will be happy with the results .Only one curmudgeon raised his angst with me in all my decades of selling! I was holding a speaker and found my hand indulge into the diaphragm instead of contesting the old fart! I had the money and he had to waait until all of the checks cleared...usually 10 days.




As Abraham Maslow once said 'a painter must paint.. and I say AN AUCTIONEER MUST SELL!


These movies of me and my kids, my family and my friends are living testimony of  exciting pages in my life. Given the fact we are on a "rocket ship into oblivion" the technology of the 1980s, will, in fact, serve me well in my future endeavors.. maybe mentoring young auctioneers!?




Soon, I will show my grandchildren these colorful gems of yesteryear. I may even call old Norm Richardson as he was the Trust Officer who made things possible for Auctioneer Bob Potvin! SOLD SOLD SOLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment