Thursday, October 25, 2018

MY FASCINATION WITH THE UNITED STATES PRESIDENCY

It all began while I was in the 7th grade at St. Joseph School, North Brookfield when I began learning American History through my hobby of collecting stamps. While a look at the world's geography was important my focus peered in on both definitive and commemorative issues. As I grew, my hobby grew. Ronnie Stackow and Richard Gagnon, two neighborhood friends, too, collected stamps. We received tutoring from Miss Ruth Young, also a collector.

U.S. postage is, perhaps, the best teacher in itself as each stamp tells a story commemorating something from our past i.e. The World Columbian Expo in 1892 -1893.This set is awesome in itself. Better yet, the 1938-1939 Presidential Series fired my mind into the stratosphere... and I fastened my seat-belt with delight.

Each stamp bears a portrait of the presidents from Washington to Calvin Coolidge. Both the $2.00 Harding and the $5.00 Coolidge issues made my heart skip a beat. It was love at first sight. Within a year or so I had memorized each president by name. I was having fun.

Fast forward to February 14, 1964, just weeks after the JFK murder, LBJ came to Saint Louis U. It was a cold Friday in winter and his approach from DC piqued my imagination further. A sitting Texan coming my way..in the flesh. I was the first student awaiting his arrival (8 hours later.) As the crowd built up  my front row position gave me hope of shaking the president's hand... and I did!

From the experience came further interest in the Presidency. I was hooked.
I shook the tall Texan's hand and even asked him for his pocket handkerchief as a souvenir. "Sorry, Son, I may need it later!" The photographers captured this moment and it is by this historic photograph I further grew in interest.

In Texas at Fort Sam I met him again.

My US., history professor, William B. Faherty, SJ, enjoyed my enthusiasm.

Then as I grew, my interests in the Presidency grew. The tap root of my political loves came with JFK in 1960.

Nixon clearly was not my favorite. "Tricky Dickey" No thanks.

In the 1990s I grew in the ways of writing for the Spencer New Leader. From Learning About Antiques I slid into second base covering the New Hampshire Primary! I was credentialed to cover both BUSH and CLINTON. The thrill of "making news" with the Big Boys rang my chimes.

I learned early on as a reported you must be aggressive. Mother Rita imparted her wisdom as we drove to Portsmouth to be credentialed.

Despite many negative connotations of "POLITICS" there's nothing like it.
From being refused an autograph by ROSS PEROT to sneaking by the SECRET SERVICE in a NH Town Meeting I learned the ropes.

The highlight to all of this experience was connecting with President Bush and Arnold Schwarzenegger in town hall rally. In shaking the president's hand I said "You're a good Yankee, Mr. President!" The Bush klan all are New Englanders despite their Texas fame.

If you are a parent reading this blog, I highly recommend teaching your kids what our Democracy is all about. Don't rely on the educators.. but instead..do what I did..

"ALL THE WAY WITH LBJ!"

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
BOX 11
WEST BROOKFIELD, MA 01585



















No comments:

Post a Comment