Thursday, October 4, 2018

GET EXCITED BASEBALL FANS!

My first go'round with Post Season play came in 1964 while a senior in college. Sportsman Park, was the home of the St. Louis Cardinals. It was one mile east of the University campus.

 Having been a Red Sox fan since 1952, and having attended a game at Braves Field, I was inculcated into the game by one Mr. Leach, our high school principal. Mr. Leach was a pitcher at Hold Cross College in the early 30s. He hailed from Brookfield and moved to North in the early 40s. Mr. Leach was my friend and mentor.

Connie Mack was Mr. Leach's hero and idol. Shammy DeLude, too, was a baseball player. The dynamic Duo from The Brookfields made sure we knew what the game was all about. Shammy would don the umpire's black uniform and sported an inflated chest protector. It was "Play ball!"

Saint Louis, Missouri is a baseball town. Announcer Jack Buck's monotone voice could be heard throughout the Gateway City and I, as an Easterner basked in the sunshine of the Cardinal's victory over the Yankees in seven games. I was credentialed as a runner by The AP. I delivered rolls of Kodak Ekta chrome to the darkroom under the stadium. It was fun and I got paid for it.

Collectively I reflect on having attended 15 major league parks all over the Nation and Canada.  My sons, Ben and Josh, are carrying on the tradition now. Grandson Chase Robert, too, loves the game. our National Pastime.

Tomorrow I take the Commuter Rail to Beantown and throw myself and spirit into what will be at hand: YANKEES VERSUS THE RED SOX. I don't need to be credentialed as far as I'm concerned,  the the thrill of just being there will be my payment. I love adventure and , by golly, I will have my NIKON D-40 to make memories!

The hucksters, scalpers, and innocent standers-by will be melded into the social fabric of what baseball is really about: ACTION! Major League ballplayers are special. Their talents are non-pareil. Some are giants others are not.. all are humans performing on the fields of life.. bigger than life!

If tomorrow's another day.. tomorrow night .. the whole world will be focused on Fenway and I will be there!

"PEANUTS!"

#1  BOBBY POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment