Friday, October 12, 2018

'MOONLIGHT IN VERMONT' ON AN OCTOBER FRIDAY

I have always been enamored by the thought of Vermont! From Don Kent's forecasts of Hog Back Mountain and Mount Snow, to my living in Saint Albans, Vermont, still rings my chimes!

Today I surprised my U.S. Army  friend, John B. O'Sullivan, by following him to the Drug Store in Springfield, MA. I trailed Johnny down and caught him by surprise. "You are the last person I expected to see today." I said 'I have been following you since you passed me in front of your house.' He laughed with approval.

After Johnny doing his errands we headed for the mountains..The Green Mountains of Vermont! Blue skies abounded as we reached the state line. The Guilford Visitor  Center was hopping! Tourists from across New England and beyond were being inculcated into what Vermont really is: Cottage industries of Vermont crafts, etc.

Johnny was mesmerized by the beauty of this magnificent building.. a frame barn of impressive proportions. Jeannette gave us a warm Vermont welcome and proceeded to explain what it's all about. I was smitten by the attitudes of the good folks working in Guilford.

The October foliage is here in all of its splendor. The striations of color vary depending on the types of deciduous trees and attendant altitudes. Having visited Vermont in the Fall two years ago I understand Vermont as a  love.


Our destination was Plymouth Notch and President Calvin Coolidge's birthplace. Hopping back onto I-91  we headed north. Blue skies and puffy fair-weather clouds filled the October skies. A definite coldness filled the air as to say "Welcome, boys." And that we were.

Vermont is as pure as its maple syrup! No billboard advertising! There's nothing fake about the 14th state admitted to the Union!

Zooming along in my 243,500 mile 2008 Honda I missed the turn to go to Plymouth Notch so we aborted our plans and took Highway 5 back towards Taxachusetts! LOL. This highway affords a marvelous array of small Vermont towns. Ascutney and all of the rest were superb with nature's paintbrushes. The colour was magnificent. We even crossed the Connecticut   into Charlestown, NH for a bit!

 Then we jumped across the Connecticut River to I-91 Vermont.. again. Light traffic gave us the pleasures of landscape appreciation. The foliage is peak in some parts of Vermont.  This weekend will be the time to head for the Green Mountains. Trust me..romantic Vermont cannot be beat.. any where at any time. It even has Old Cape Cod beat !

I LOVE VERMONT!

No comments:

Post a Comment