Sunday, October 21, 2018

DENIS P. LONG OF NEW BRAINTREE

"A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter" and Deny is just that!

Denis Patrick Long is one brave soldier! At age 32 he was stricken with rheumatoid arthritis. From the get-go my friend "Long" has lived a life of farming with an entrepreneurial flair worth crowing about!
 
As a true New England farmer, Deny has responded to all of life's challenges with courage and grace.
 
I have been Deny's friend since 1956 when we entered North Brookfield High. Denis had a 1955 blue Ford sedan which gave me independence. We were essentially wild  as any teenager would be expected to be. I learned the ins and outs of farming with Deny as my guiding light. Along the way, I had an accident in Deny's barn. I was standing on a three legged milking stool trying to plug in shearing shears, lost my balance, and my left thumb landed on the rim of Chase and Sandborn coffee tim. I received a gash which required sutures. Doc.  Thomas O'Boyle to the rescue!
 
As my life went a(long,) New Braintree and the Longs remained on my radar. I admit to skating on a small pond built by old Tom Small. Mrs. SMALL HAD THREE SONS NAMED LONG..! Along with two daughters names Small: "Sissie" and Shelia.
 
Through my entire life I have revered my friendship with the Longs up to the present moment!
 
Deny Long is one wise man! Today we exchange stories as all old men should. It was a back & forth banter. It is a meaningful back & forth with salty words to give to give our colloquy meaning.
 
Denis holds title to the most beautiful farm .. SUMMIT FARM next to the Congo Church. The setting is idyllic 12 months of the year.















 

No comments:

Post a Comment