Thursday, October 18, 2018

CONNIE MACK - THE PATRON SAINT OF THE BROOKFIELDS

From generation to generation, the legacy of Cornelius McGillicuddy (Connie Mack) 1862 -1956..lives. I came to realize how imbued Mr. Mack's impression came when I interviewed Martin D. Leach in his advancing years.

Martin D. Leach, my NBHS principal, was passionate about the game of baseball. From pick-up games on the town common to a fleet of school buses to Boston, the youth of North Brookfield were introduced to the game as no others can boast.

Leo L. Shammy DeLude and Mr. Leach were faced Juvenile Delinquency   after WWII as the story goes. Both DeLude and Leach were players in their own right and With John C. Lane's busses, a trip to both the Boston Braves and the Red Sox happened every summer. The youth responded to the good will of the two men.

Chaperones included Firpo Flamand and Danny McCoy. Men were boys and boys were men.

Mr. Leach surprised me in a 1986 interview. When asked who his favorite all-time baseball player was I expected 'Babe Ruth or Ted Williams!' Not so. CONNIE MACK was Mr. Leach's answer. WOW.

This response taught me of how deep Mack's legacy remained locally. As Mr. Leach was a relief pitcher for Holy Cross College in the early thirties, the game of baseball flowed through his Irish-American veins. How lucky were us boys..even if I couldn't throw a ball straight! Later on, Larry Boyd cut me from the tryouts of NBHS baseball! LOL.

I live CONNIE MACK..I Bleed Connie Mack and the wonderful life Mr. Mack lived. I even auctioned off two autographed baseballs in the Delude Estate Auction...Mack & Ruth.. how about $2,650.00 each! I have traveled to both Philadelphia and Cooperstown in my quest to be a "resident expert" on Old Connie.

My esteemed friend, Dennis LeBeau, has a cassette entitled "Mr. Baseball" recorded in 1956 upon Mack's death. I plan on having Lindsey Nelson accounting and voice of Connie transcribed. It is by far the best in of all discoveries in my quest. Further both Senator Mack  of Florida and Congressman Mack have been met by me on East Brookfield

Now, as the Boston Red Sox are poised to host the World Series at Fenway Park beginning on October 23rd, the pandemonium is about to explode. How nice for some warmth on a frosty October night! 31 degrees as I WRITE AT 11:17 pm.

Thank you Mr. Mack, Mr. Leach and Mr. Delude for inculcating our young minds in the correct direction in our lives. Now with a grandson, Chase Robert on the mound, I delight to think Chase will grow in wisdom learning about our wonderful pastime: baseball!






No comments:

Post a Comment