Thursday, November 17, 2016

WERE YOU A NEUROTIC BABY?

Mindful we are all "victims of victims" and host behavioral traits we may not even be aware of, 'life is a funny, funny riddle' as John Denver once sung. IF you screamed and hollered until you got your own way, your mother had a choice of being nurturing or critical and acted accordingly.


If she applied Transactional Analysis she may have "hooked your adult ego state." The "who, what, when, where, etc."may reveal a modified response or you as a little tyrant REBELLED. MAYBE A TANTRUM OR A TISSY FIT? LOL. If you pouted this means you adapted to her authority!


As I have been preaching, your behavior modification can manifest  a certain maturity.
  The concept of "Growing Up" is important! Some men and women in their 60's remain s "mental midgets." Not good. Many marriages and relationships can be the "pounding and putdowns" of either/or. fights ensue.. and it may "Go To Extremes" as Billy Joel sings. "The furthest point can be a murder!  This was the case in January, 1900, North Brookfield when this "crazy guy" killed his wife and two kids.It was a Triple Murder. Even Connie Mack came to the funeral.


I feel it is better to  "Kiss and make up.!" My mother employed a weapon of mass instruction "THE SILENT TREATMENT!"  This perturbed my 'slightly neurotic' dad to no end. How can you kiss and make-up if there's no verbal colloquy ? Sooner or later, the white flag was waved and they got on with living.


Some of my friends and former friends have revealed terrible boyhoods and girlhoods. I was enough of a Rebel to give my folks a run for their money! Overall, my youth was  fun. Warm memories of basic, solid, intelligent activities gave me a wonderful up-bringing. Dad always said " Bobby.. I don't want any trouble." My bonding to Dad was exceptional. I saw him cry like a baby when I returned from Saint Louis University for the first time. Dad was humble and as a boy, when I had an earache he took me in his loving arms and blew warm pipe smoke into my aching ear! !!!!!!


We did so much together. Although Joe Potvin only lived to age 70, he admitted to Ray Lenti "I must have a done a pretty good job in raising my boy." I gave him two grandsons, Ben and Josh, and family movies reveal a 2 year old Josh helping us stack firewood.


Raising boys in the Seventies and Eighties was real special... in every way. I returned back to the Brookfields in June of 1980 knowing my dad would not live forever. We savored every moment. I helped him and he helped me. We laughed and when I needed to pierce his depression I succeeded. Dad bought a Puch Moped in retirement and helped me restore two antique houses in West Brookfield.


Yes, I shed my tears now knowing I was taught Right from Wrong. So now I ask..."How are you doing with the rearing of your Munchkins!? "Spare the rod and Spoil The Child!" Overindulgence ( spoiling) will guarantee you a Spoiled Brat...


ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
CHIEF BLOGGER-AT-LARGE
West Brookfield, MA
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment