Wednesday, November 30, 2016

HOW I WAS INTRODUCED TO THE ROLLS ROYCE 1961

It was a cold Saturday.. December 2, 1961, to be exact, when Mr. Frank Cooke introduced me to what a Springfield Rolls Royce really was. Mr. Cooke invited me to travel with him and his 2 younger kids to Mt. Vernon, New York. Here in Westchester County lived a man names Sam Adelman who specialized in owning a junkyard for classics.Somehow, Cooke learned of a Playboy Roadster for sale! An original 1924 (?) ROLLS ready for restoration.






Frank belonged to the Rolls Royce Owners Club( of which I later joined.)
Frank Cooke bought the classic for (about $8.00 a pound.) He never told me just how much it cost him!






Rolls Royce owner and enthusiast, the Late Ed Lake returned with Frank and drove the car back to North Brookfield. It was the beginning of a 'Tale of Two Rolls '. Cooke already owned a green  RR Newmarket Touring Car of  which I later drove.




1962 saw Bob Potvin in love with  Springfield Rolls Royces and daughter Diana. I served as Frank's "Grease Monkey"  working evenings wire-brushing the car's frame. The aluminum body had been removed and restoration was full speed ahead. I loved what I was doing... and learning all about the car. 'Dual-Cowal'..Bijur lubricating system and two cast iron motor blocks.



                            THE FLYING LADY - OR THE SPIRIT OF ECSTACY









A SILVER GHOST






Eventually the car was totally restored and won First Prize in 1963 competition of the Rolls Royce Owners Club! It was painted a sexy blue with black fenders. By today's standards this car is stodgy. Cars of this ilk can be seen in the Great Gatsby movie.


I was so inspired by my Rolls Royce experience I vowed to own a RR by the time I was age 50. Never happened. Today, I aim high someday wanting to own a TESLA!




The total FRANK COOKE EXPERIENCE in my life catapulted me like no other.
Thank you Mr. Mrs. Frank Cooke....you made it all possible with a job and inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment