Friday, November 11, 2016

SAY "Hi" to MAT BENVENUTI, USMC .. My One In a Million Friend.

Matthew C. is truly a "Man's Man!"


Matt is a "North Brookfield boy. I have known Mr. Benvenuti all of my life. Matthew and I are special friends! Born in 1923, Matt grew up working in his father's enterprise North Brookfield Fruit Co. once located on Summer street in a basement store in the bowels of the North Brookfield Town Hall.


Photographs of "Ben" working in the family run "Fruit Store" may be seen at the North Brookfield Historical Museum where MAC'S TV once served the public: The Walker Block In my youth I was classmates with Benvenuti's nephew, Jackie! But Matthew C. had a mid-life career change.' A U.S.P.S MAIL CARRIER! Bunk Hill and Jim Gaffney preceeded M.B. walking over 6 miles a day delivering letters from his leather pouch. In all cases the U.S. Mail was dropped off in the dark green transfer stations around my hometown!


Many of the menserved our Country in WW I, WW 2, and Korea.The old postmaster, Jim Short was a grouch in my dealings with him. "Lenny" Lemieux, is in fact my cousin and worked in the PO for years. Also, George Murphy Mrs. Murphy's husband, Joe Connelly and others served the N.B. Patrons well. I, as a stamp collector since 1954 was treated with respect and happiness!


"Matt-the-Mailman" HAND DELIVERED ALL MY LETTERS TO MOM AND DAD..18 SOUTH MAIN ST.For one year For one year in Franked Airmail envelopes.."My Mail Went Through."  only a couple letters survive today. My first letter and the Impossible Dream  Red Sox v. Saint Louis "like accounting."


As the years went by, Matt Benvenuti and I grew closer in friendship and brother hood. Today, at age 93, Matthew is hip. His countenance says it all: Matt looks like he is in his late fifties. Amazing.


Situated in the Quabaug Nursing Home,West Brookfield Matt Benvenuti may be found in his Room 128 A. Toodie Quigley is in Room 120 B.


"Put a little love in your heart" and visit these two nonagenarians!


Sincerely yours,




Robert Louis Potvin
Blogger-inCharge
West Brookfield, MA



No comments:

Post a Comment