Friday, November 18, 2016

MASSACHUSETTS TURNPIKE...GUERRILLA WARFARE AT ITS BEST

I obtained my Mass. Driver's License in 1958 a year after "The Pike" opened. It ended in Weston. Getting into Boston was simple...Route 9 or Route 20. The 'Mass Pike Extension' maybe was 14 miles long. As I recall it cost more to build the Extension than the original coat to West Stockbridge!


The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority is all about Politics. At Saint Louis U. a fellow Bay Stater and later an attorney E. Terrance Ward gave me insights but nothing like today's trip to Beantown. If you "Go with the Flow" YOU WILL REACH 80MPH.eVERYONE IS IN A HURRY going nowhere. Texting is real as are blaring horns. As an old man I change my hats to that of an OBER taxi driver!.Drivers have absolutely no mercy.


The absence of Toll Booths now makes Exit and Entry a free-for-all. Zoom...Zoom...Zoom.Watch out! The worst part comes in the Cambridge/Alston Exit. Traffic converges from several sources and three men collecting for the "Homeless Missions" add fuel to the fire!


For three or four years now I have made my dollar "contribution." They know me from the days of driving my Cadillac Allante'.. Back then they admitted to collecting about $80.00 a day. The vast majority of motorists in their Jaguars, BMWs and Mercedes categorically ingor their plight. When asked today, my friend said "I only collected $30 yesterday and left in disgust!"


Now on Storrow Drive, I "prepare for landing." The drive along the River Charles and Cambridge is so beautiful. I know this s I once lived in Boston and Chelsea and Scituate. The bottleneck-exit to Mass General is no east thing. More convergences necessitate Old Bob ratcheting up and maneuvering my Honda until a left Turn for MGH. "Garage Closed Today!" So I used the other garage.


Not bad...slot #150. Reasonably expensive. Ten bucks or more. But I don't have ten dollars. The bottom like is the Garage will bill me.


After a successful visit with Dr. Dey I enjoyed Johnny Cash strumming and singing with June.


"I've Been everywhere, Man."


The Indian Summer Friday's experience was full.







No comments:

Post a Comment