Friday, November 25, 2016

CHRISTMAS 1961 - A MEMORY

North Brookfield  December 25, 1961.. one of my first BLOGS! LOL


"Christmas is a time of joy. We celebrate the birth of the  Christ Child and adore him. Also, Christmas means snow. For many years New England has not experienced a storm of noticeable magnitude. I being 19 years on this earth have never seen a storm at Christmas. Many old timers have remarked "It always snowed at Christmas."


Last night at 11:00 PM it began to snow. I anticipated several inches. When I I arose we had received six inches of new snow. All day today the snow was light but atduskit began snowing very heavily. All night long strong Northerly winds have been blowing the heavy snow and has developed into a real Old Fashioned blizzard. I would conservatively estimate the accumulation at the present time  12:50 AM December 25, 1961  at 12 inches. I am certain the snowfall will be over this amount however I cannot say until the storm has subsided."


Total accumulation 18 inches .


N.B. My folks encouraged me to write about the storms of my youth. Now, a Half-Century later these, wonderful accountings rev up my Christmas Spirit!


Very truly yours,


ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
Chief Blogger -at-Large
West Brookfield, MASS. USA













No comments:

Post a Comment