Tuesday, November 22, 2016

UNDERSTANDING YOUR MASSACHUSETTS CAR POLICY

Welcome to the world of automobile insurance! As an Aetna Casualty and Surety Co. Claim Representative, Supervisor, Instructor and Administrator from 1965  - 1977, I should know what I'm talking about. As one man said "Insurance is the backbone of the economy!" Ya gotta have it! Some is compulsory... some is optional. To most, motorist car insurance is Greek!


As I see it, the bottom line  to you, a policyholder, is Protection! You protect yourselves if you SLAM into somebody or some thing ( including pedestrians). Insurance claims are a fact of life! I pride myself of having a "near perfect" batting average. Only one BIDDY claimed I was duping her! LOL. The reality is the main function of a claim adjuster is simple...to settle claims and avoid a Lawsuit!


Some folks think it's OK to steal from insurance companies! Not good.


In Massachusetts, certain coverages are mandates by law. If you "poon" someone's car Property Damage protects you up to $100,000. Hit a boat or airplane or somebody's Mercedes, etc. you have substantial protection. Get hurt in an accident No Fault kicks in . PIP.. Personal Injury Protection can cover up to $8,000 in medical expenses... but be careful as Deductibles may apply.


All accidents involving your vehicles and yourselves can be a Total Loss including your lives and your vehicles. Vehicle insurance rates are drawn up by actuaries in Home Offices and must be approved by Law Makers. Today, Safety is tantamount to our beings. Way back when, no seatbelts..no safety glass.. terrible conditions. Super-highways have so many built-in safety features. Hit a lamp-post and the thing breaks at the bottom. Rear-end somebody and you are CAKE!


Tail Lights today are like a Carnival. Headlights are far reaching... yet there are so many maniacs seemingly everywhere I turn on the highways.. Bad weather is anathema to motorists. TOMORROW ON THE PIKE... AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE! It could be wall-to-wall from Logan Airport to Sturbridge.I know as I have been there.


My favorite coverage is Towing and Labor ..twelve bucks a year. How many times have I relied on towing coverage for my "former cars." Now I have a Honda! Yes!


Bodily Injury to others means you hurt somebody else. The biggest claim may be whiplash! I hurt as I sustained a whiplash injury riding as a passenger in Vietnam. Took me 10 years to heal.


Of course some folks may Fake It! I learned, the quicker a claimant's car or truck is fixed with some Greenback Poultice, the better off everybody is.


Because I don't drive a fancy, new car, my total policy premium is a paltry $381.00 from December 29, 2016 to December 29, 2017. The smartest thing you may do is to review your vehicle coverages with your Independent Agent. Bill Mansfield..Agent & Neighbor at Westbrook Insurance Agency, West Brookfield, Mass. is a Good Guy. I am with Arbella Mutual Insurance Co. Read the fine print and learn.


Be smart and "Happy Motoring."



No comments:

Post a Comment