Friday, January 19, 2018

WINSLOW HOMER

Now at the Worcester Art Museum but not Fog Warning! The good Sisters of Saint Joseph gave me a print while in grade school! That was in 1953.

Better than reviewing the master works of Homer or contemplating Homer's bust, I found an 85 year old "antique" type  who was an antique dealer in glass... eons ago. I thoroughly enjoyed talking with Mr. Charles Coulter, a former biology teacher  now living in Laconia, along with his chic daughter and her stylish reading glasses, over a bottle of Nantucket Nectar.

The reality is a new generation of humans are evolving in a "who cares" mentality. I say this because of my own son's words, J.Byron, who is an insurance executive. The flames of antiquity may be a subtle flicker today. Too much has changed globally as I see it. Old stuff is OLD. Newspapers are "Titanic-like" in their quest for survival and all fine art markets seem to be heading "Down, Down, Down" in the opinion of Mr. Octogenarian are an omen.

If museums are to survive my view is something RADICAL AND DRAMATIC must happen. "Saint Patriot" has taken over the mindset of ALL.. not just kids or whatever.  I speak with authority after having bombed in an electronic auction less than a month ago. Times have changed, folks.

Nobody has enjoyed antiquity more than me. Coins and stamps and clocks and watches and autographs  have given me more than money. I delight in having a good sense of history. "So what!"

As far as museums go, I think one of the best was seen and enjoyed by me in Hong Kong in 1998! If anything, a museum today will be remiss if they do not address our fabulous Space Era. There's enough meat on the bone to feed the masses and children of the SmartPhone Era. Enough said!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
"Antique Blogger" 75
West Brookfield
Taxachusetts


No comments:

Post a Comment