Monday, January 15, 2018

MARTIN LUTHER KING REMEMBERED 1964

I came within 3 feet of MLK in my last year at St. Louis! I ,too, was in touch with LBJ and was this close to Republican presidential candidate senator Barry Goldwater. Saint Louis has always been a magnet attraction!


The World's Fair was hosted by Saint Louis in 1904. Way, way, back it was a port city on the Mississippi. I think I enjoyed the surroundings of the Gateway City more than the classroom settings of Mid-Town STL.


It took me a year or two to settle-in in living on the Frost Campus located on Grand Boulevard at Lindell. Early on I sought employment at the SLU Bookstore and loved it! E.V.Shields, Manager, liked me and I him. Working in a small hole-in-the wall smoke shop and liquor shop exposed me to the real world of historic Saint Louis.


Once settled I enjoyed certain topics of study: U.S. History, Business Speech and World Geography and the culmination of these studies came with those visits from LBJ & MLK.I WAS THERE. I savored those precious moments, observing their leadership styles and attendant messages. Missouri gubernatorial candidate  Warren E. Hearnes also came to school. I liked his message of "We need to take more long-shot chances with boys and girls who do not have top level grades and test scores but who seem to possess other characteristics which give promise of their success now and constructive  now and constructive leadership and citizenship later."


MLK's visit to the West Pine Gym wasn't very glamourous on this October day. To me his speech wasn't very inspiring and as he left the gym with his great entourage of handlers I came within 36 inches the Doctor of Theology. Most inspiring was the ebullient persona of my dormitory's janitor Jim. This observation was my conviction Dr. King delivered a good speech!


'ABRAHAM, MARTIN & JOHN' as sung by DION gives testimony to  great men in the history of America!
LBJ & MLK







No comments:

Post a Comment