Thursday, January 4, 2018

GRAYSON -A BITCH OF A NOR'EASTER IN THE MAKING!

Batten down the hatches for New England is welcoming the 2018 year in style with  an UPROAR from the heavens and earth below. All systems say "Snow!" The ensuing cold will prompt some folks to move south. Pas moi.

I feature Doc Wight's gravestone as I am reminded of Old Doc enduring life's storms. At age 56 he came to North Brookfield from Maine. When storms came from the Northeast Clarence Wight donned a mackinaw. Drive, he did not, and all of his traveling was from his Morris Chair in his back room. His office portrayed two massive portraits of lions!

I peddled the Sunday Telegram to his South Main home. It seemed he was always "lathered-up" and ready to shave when he paid me two thin dimes.

I liked Doc Wight. He always called me "Boy" and brought out the best in me! I learned about dentistry and geography from CW. His wife Mae would call him and you could hear her voice from across the room!

Married for 50 years the Wights moved to "Birch Tree Farm" on Elm Street, NB. Mrs. Wight inherited $$s.. enough for the duo to buy a home next to "Red" Lee's. In his final years Doc Wight resided here in West Brookfield at Quaboag-on-the-Common living well into his mid-nineties.

He was friends with old Matt Benvenuti and old Bob Quigley and was truly a man after my own heart. Doc Wight graduated from Tuft's Dental School in 1914!

No comments:

Post a Comment