Saturday, January 13, 2018

NEW YORK, NEW YORK, AND A TRIP TO A SETON HALL BASKETBALL GAME

This Saturday morning's weather was foreboding! I thought our proposed trip to Newark, N.J. would be cancelled. SonJosh had different ideas. "we're going,Pops,hop in" came his e-mail as his grey Volvo SUV pulled in at 7:30 AM. Grandson Chase and granddaughter Madeline sat enjoying their devices. W were on our way!


Driving through Gotham is a no-brainer. Now, I would ride shotgun. As we entered the Nutmeg State on I-84 I noticed in the western skies a brightening horizon. Through Connecticut my pilot met the Saturday traffic with a certain aplomb. In entering The Empire State skies began to clear.Westchester County reveals extreme wealth as does Fairfield County in Connecticut. Chase noticed "Tesla plugs" at a gas station and questioned the likes of a very expensive motor car!


As we flew into view of the New York Skyline our spirits were elevated. The Empire State skyscraper captured our New England imaginations. I told of my NYC yarns of yesteryear as Josh did the driving. His GPS lady told where to go and not to go. Our destination was Newark, NJ and the "The Pru." I could tell everyone was up for the event. The George Washington Bridge and certain exits funneled us into a parking lot next to the Prudential Center.


The parking attendant challenged Josh's patience and I backed away. Suddenly we approached The Prudential's entry-way where a dozen or so ticket scalpers greeted our "innocent" mannerisms. "All set" was our response. Then, inside, my generous son sprung for four $55 tickets! Choice seats.. 5 rows back behind a hoop. It was a "sea of blue" Seton Hall Pirate Blue."


Chase and Maddie walked behind the bench observing the Pirates practice. Georgetown Coach, Patrick Ewing towered over all standers-by in his fancy suit of clothes and tassel loafers, maybe size 16! Exactly at Noon the game was on. The Hall, a definite force in the Big East fell behind. I started to squirm. Then the Pirates responded with supreme accuracy. Their 16 cylinder engine purred like an antique Rolls Royce! We clapped and cheered as did the thousand of Pirate fans. It was truly a global warming in January 2018.


Earlier I had my photograph taken with an old pirate wearing a blue wig and blue mustache! We laughed!


The Seaton Hall Pirate's men's team recognized P.J. Carlissimo with bobble head dolls. Son Ben will get mine!


Since 1990, Seton Hall University, South Orange, N.J. has brought me 2 educated sons and a myriad of marvelous memories. That's why I truly love NEW YORK as it is part of the total Seton Hall Experience!


ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
Saint Louis University (1965)
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585


508-867-3360

No comments:

Post a Comment