Saturday, January 20, 2018

FRENCH-CANADIAN AMERICAN

I'm French-Canadian American and proud of it. My family roots go deep into the sod of life. Today I received a Priority Mail from my college roommate in Portland, Oregon. It cost $13.00 to mail.


Inside of the Red White and Blue box was a collection of what I sent Bill over the years. "THE ONLY THINGS WE KEEP IN LIFE ARE THE THINGS WE GIVE AWAY." Important to it all is one particular book:
"The French Canadian Heritage in New England" by Gerard Breault written in 1986. If you are French Canadian get it at your library.


As we all search for a meaning in life, this one book did the trick for me. I went from being a "Dumb Frenchman" to that of being an educated geographer with meaning. As an auctioneer/antique dealer I am learning all of the nuances of life in the 21st Century. Blogging certainly helps me to discover life's deepest meanings and rewards.


Over 100 years ago 'La Franco-Americane' in 1900 was made up of devout Catholics with huge families. My Poulin roots  state 'Joseph Poulin was big, tall, raw-boned man; wood chopper. Was killed by a fallen tree. He would pick up his son in one hand, and say "I'm STILL THE BOSS, JOSEPH!"
Joseph Poulin lived and trapped with Indians around Lake Superior until he was 14. Pepere' was a railroad night watchman.. was a pipe smoker and died of tongue cancer." Marie Tetreault hailed from Putnam, CY and died at age 34. They had 8 children!


My maternal great parents hailed from St. Jude, Canada. Delphine Hamel founded LEDOUX VARIETY, N.BROOKFIELD ABOUT 1909. IDA WAS BORN IN 1892.
"SKIP" WAS BORN IN 1900. The small variety store is truly ingrained in my entrepreneurial spirit.

What I appreciate the most of Dr. Breault's sentiments is "IT WON'T DO TO PRESENT  A ROMANTICIZED HISTORY OF GRANCO-AMERICAN EXPLOITS. WHAT WE NEED IS THE TRUTH....AND THE TRUTH IS THAT WE ARE A SMALL UNAPPRECIATED PEOPLE. ENDOWED WITH TREMENDOUS ENERGY; WE ARE ONLY HUMAN BEINGS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE...BUT WE ARE NOT LESS THAN THAT."

Today my sons, Ben and Josh are educated in the ways of the world. Nothing finer than a Seton Hall education. I cherish my 5 grandchildren.. 4 girls and a boy. The Potvins will live in a world so different than that of their Great Great Great Grandpaents. who were woodchoppers and pipe smokers and "big baby makers."


Merci beaucoup mon Freres
ROBERT LOUIS POULIN POTVIN
Hailing from Little Canada
North Brookfield, MA 01585


508-867-3360 Anytime
.




No comments:

Post a Comment