Saturday, January 6, 2018

JFK IN THE BROOKFIELDS

Kennedy was no stranger to Worcester County. Over his younger years he came to the aid of Tornado victims in 1953. In 1958 he stayed at the Massasoit Hotel in Spencer with Jackie. Tonight I have found two important news clippings from 1963 and the memoir of one Edward Krock of Brookfield. Rockinghorse Farm as it was called hosted JFK as far back as 1948 when Kennedy was a tyro in Congress.


"He was warm, vibrant, and magnetic" the article reads. JFK possessed a "flash memory" recalling folks he met in Brookfield years later! Mrs. Krock is quoted in a New Leader "He was a humble person." 'I love coming to your house' quipped the president-to-be.


"Area guest list include: Senator Phil Quinn,Dorothy Quinn, Mr. Mrs. Henry Salem, the Ernest Salems, the Richard SAlems, Ralph and MArjorie Igoe, Red Lee, and others. I am told the anti for a picture taken with JFK may have been $500!


The Krocks were "in" with the Kennedy family.The indication there was correspondence with both parties over the years. Autographed photographs and letters were cherished by the Krock family. I wonder where they are today?


Mrs. Krock said "it was a privilege to know him." It seems the world had and has the same sentiments.


Thanks to the North Brookfield Lees over 120 clippings exist today. I plan on preparing a Scrap Book for posterity showing in-depts. accountings of the many contributors.





In my view it is Kennedy history personified!

2 comments:

  1. I have tons of information about the krocks I have pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see those, my mother grew up there and we have very few pictures.

    ReplyDelete