Friday, January 19, 2018

CHASE'S FIRE-FARTS

Old Mike Coughlin ( Muriel's husband) once told me about his days in the U.S. Navy and his observations of Swabies  holding a lit match to a sailor's touchhole! A blue fire ensured! Honest.


Tonight on the way back from the Quaboag boys basketball game Son-Josh became flatulent. I told the story about Mike's observation and n "Yes." The next thing I knew was his presentation of the "Rhino Blue".. fire from the rear-end. I could not hold back the tears of happiness and approval. 'Kids Love Farts." Maybe George Carlin humor?


I watch two games and the experience evoked memories of the Fifties in North Brookfield. From Frank Waytina, the man who ran the new electronic clock in 1956, to ball players such as Gerry Smith, George Monahan, Ronnie Stackow and others under the coaching of Stanley Porter, Mr. Leach and Larry Boyd.


Basketball is our "winter salvation." Playing, observing, blogging, what have you, one James Naismith gave us at Springfield College a new game with two peach baskets and something to cheer about: BASKETBALL! I had a front row seat with N.B.H.S. as scorekeeper. Tonight my son, Josh, kept score.


If life is what we make it, certainly WINTER IS WHAT WE MAKE IT! Tomorrow morning I will return to courtside and witness an up & comer, Chase Robert!


If we are to endure our winters, certainly basketball and football will carry us through to Spring.


ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
NBHS SCOREKEEPER.. 1956 - 1960

No comments:

Post a Comment