Thursday, January 4, 2018

A COUCHANT, PHILOSOPHICAL, BLOGGER

If you dwell on the wrong thing you'll go nuts! SonJosh just cleared me a path. Thanks.


My investment in a 75" HDTV and many, many home videos is giving me great pleasures as the Nor'easter bears down. The house I live in is tiny, tight and tremendous for the occasion: A blizzard.


The key word is batteries under the circumstances. Loose power and I'll go to plan B: Grandmother's featherbed. B & M Baked Beans with Honey was my supper. I have been filling my face with 'Orville" and Sweet Cider earlier.


Spent hours shedding extraneous papers. The Information Age has re-defined our very existence. Everything is new under the sun except the weather. Right?


It will be a photographer's paradise tomorrow. Newspapers may double or triple their sales. I get a kick out of the millions of 'Blizzard Specials' and Tornado and others are saved for posterity. Not me.


I did receive a fantastic old newspaper in yesterday's mail from Charlie in Mattapoiset: The Warren Herald dated "Friday, March 25, 1904!" Warren, Mass! The headlines read "WARREN REJOICES Perkins Machine to move here at once." 'The Queen of the Quaboag Extends a Glad Hand to the New Industry" The front page is loaded with illustrations of their manufacturing prowess. The front page features many small display ads.. auctioneer, dentists, flowers, etc. Subscription, $1.50 Per Annum.


A touching copy of VALUATION AND TAXES of the Town of North Brookfield reveals my roots.'Paul Wine was taxed for a Horse $40; a House $150, a Barn $100 and Homestead of 6 1/2 acres totaling $540.00  with a Tax of$9.83.Thee ae also two entries bearing my name of Potvin!


Now conceptualize this blizzard occurring in 1873 or 1904. Even the pee-pots froze back then according to Dad. There was little sensationalism back then. If you want to read a great book written in 1928 read THE OUTERMOST HOUSE by Henry Beston. It is all about survival on the Outer Cape.


I think "the worst is yet to come?!"


Warmly,


ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
ENTOOMED IN THE POODLE
WB - MA





No comments:

Post a Comment