Friday, January 5, 2018

THE KENNEDY HALF DOLLAR 1964 - 2018

It seems the issuance of the Kennedy Half Dollar in 1964 satisfied the immediate needs of an everlasting memory of our slain president. Few know the Philadelphia Mint issued those coins far into 1965 bearing the 1965 date as they didn't want to hurt the feelings of the Kennedy Klan.
From the get-go, seemingly everybody saved their Kennedys!


The 1964 Kennedy both Philadelphia and Denver were struck in 90% silver.The 1964 Proof Sets bearing  JFK are beautiful. I have given out such sets to my Grandchildren.


As time went on the Kennedy Half Dollar seemed doomed. Fifty cents of 1964 went into a tail-spin. Rampant inflation, the Vietnam War and other reasons forced the half-dollar to become unwanted. From 1965 to 1970, 40% silver content of the Kennedy's were the rule. Then in 1979, BAM, the Hunt Brothers made my life interesting!


The commodity price of silver jumped big time. From 6:1 the price jumped to 10:1 For every dollar redeemed you were paid $10. America went wild. Antique dealers became coin dealers.. I being one of them. The market peaked at 24:1. I paid $24 for every dollar's worth of silver coins: Dimes, Quarters, Halves and a premium for Silver Dollars minted 1935 and before.


After the incredible purge of silver and gold things headed south to the present moment. Just last week I decided to see if any silver Kennedy's remained in circulation! In pouring over more than $100 face of rolled Kennedys I did find  two bearing the dates of 1967 and 1968. My investment of $1.00 may give me $4 or $5 return. Much better than the Massachusetts State Lottery. I also uncovered a dozen Mint-State Kennedys dated 2005-D (11coins ) Littleton sells the 2005 P for $7.25 each  Further the JFK Library sells new Kennedys at a premium. I have a souvenir cloth bag bearing the message '$100 Kennedy Half Dollars.'


And so it goes. Kennedy Half-Dollars - a complete set makes a great gift or tutorial for kids. I continue to enjoy learning about the Kennedys!



No comments:

Post a Comment