Wednesday, January 10, 2018

JFK AS MY LIFETIME MENTOR

I held two political offices at N.B.H.S. First as class vice-president in my freshman class then as vice-president in my senior class. I had a sense in leadership as several activities revealed my growing skills.


Around the same time, JFK was emerging as a presidential candidate.  Eisenhower seemed to be a "tired old soldier." Wind him up and he did nothing for eight years. John F. Kennedy had a "Full House:" a rich daddy, a beautiful wife, a Harvard education, a Navy veteran  with a plausible war hero record.


Kennedy was called to public service early on. A member of congress from 1946 - 1952, that seat of power wasn't enough so he ran against Henry Cabot Lodges and won! Kennedy seemed to be calculating all along the way. Clearly he wanted to be president some day.


Then, in 1960, his chance came. All of the has-beens fell along the roadside. John Kennedy knew how to play his political cards. I watched with great affection. He was my kind of guy. History reveals his love of history JFK was a man of thought.


I tried to emulate President Kennedy in his every act. He was my kind of guy. Everything about JFK suited my fancy. He was my civics teacher.


On into Worcester Junior College my desire for politics continued. In my sophomore year I ran a campaign for class treasurer. I lost by 10 votes..89 79.


At Saint Louis University    I was elected to the Dorm Council. I always had a say in policy.


Then, in the Army came Soldier of the month award!  " You have demonstrated outstanding  qualities of leadership."


All along my thoughts zeroed in on JFK's style. Since his death on November 22, 1963, the Kennedy spirit lives in yours truly. From his Conservation trip to Wyoming to his affection of NASA, John Fitzgerald Kennedy has taught me well.


It is an honor for me to live so long and to enjoy learning about our fallen president. The Kennedys rose to the occasion on JANUARY 20, 1961 and left an indelible mark on my soul and spirit.




Robert Louis Potvin
Blogger
West Brookfield, MA 01585


508-867-3360

No comments:

Post a Comment