Friday, January 12, 2018

MEET MIA, MY SUPERNOVA AT MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL

Mass General is my kind of hospital! I meet some of the most interesting doctors, NURSES and patients. I really feel at home in my dozen years or so as a bone marrow candidate/ patient. Today, in traveling up the down elevator, this ebullient young lady exchanged pleasantries that made me wish I were 50 years younger!


Yes, I'm curious, and the topic in our getting to be friends: "BRAIN TUMORS." Mia is age 24, holds a Bachelor's  degree from Harvard University and holds an infectious spirit to boot.The best!


Nothing seems to be so devastating when learning about having cancer in the brain! "Primary" and "Secondary"..sadness reaches all family and friends when the news arrives through diagnosis. "Nausea and vomiting" can be clues according to Mia. Some situations are "curable" and "treatable." "Surgery and Chemo" are disciplines.  Age and advanced studies enter this amazing discipline in human study.


I particularly have a sensitivity because of my U.S. Army Medical training as an Radiographic Tech 91.p20 and field experiences in Vung Tau,Vietnam 345 Medical Detachment of the 36th Evacuation Hospital,  more than 50 years ago! Radiology is radiology, I guess or is it?. 'DOCTORS WITH X-RAY VISION' a DVD narrated by Bill Kurtis of Public Radio fame was suggested to MIA. The history of anything and everything is tutorial. I can't live without my history....


 I think what Mass General does to me is to fan my military medical training and memories. Also, having been an AETNA claim rep, supervisor, instructor and administrator person for more than 12 years helps me understand my aging process. "Curiosity killed the cat " but will never kill me. I plan on living to 105.


Mia, I cheer you and your MGH friends and associates. you are great!. and P.S. thanks for the raisin bran muffin and chocolate milk and your autograph!


Robert Louis Potvin
A Medical Blogger of sorts
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585


508-867-3360

No comments:

Post a Comment