Monday, September 24, 2018

WHAT IS YOUR ANTIDOTE TO AN UNHAPPY LIFE?

As a young man of  (22) I latched onto a career with Aetna in less than a month after graduating from college. (Saint Louis Univ.) I didn't know a thing about the business world; I WAS TRAINED BY MY EMPLOYER.
This period lasted about six months. I was green behind my ears, was given a brand new Chevrolet, an expense account, and a checkbook of Aetna's money. I settled insurance claims with both 1st party (Insureds) and 3rd party claimants either direct or with their barristers!

My job gave me independence. Working with all of the public brought out the best in me! I just loved my work. I was trained by a Marine Officer, Ed Wardzala  in the Worcester Office at 390 Main Street. Then I high-tailed it in October for Chicago Heights where my permanent position would be.Chicago was in striking distance  of Saint Louis, my old stamping grounds. Life was good! Each weekend I drove to my home away from home saw my friends and got drunk as many young people ( and older folks do!) LOL.

Next came Uncle Sam knocking at my door . Conscripted at age almost 24!
VIETNAM bound.

Phase two of AETNA brought me back to a job I loved. (Freedom.) I continued to be "on the road", enjoyed building a wardrobe and continued to "drink beer and piss foam" as my Army sergeant said wistfully. Sgt. Smith knew us recruits damn well.

"The best job in my world lasted until 1972. Then my life changed. I was promoted to Brockton Claims with my young son, Ben. Brockton Claims sucked! It proved to be the antithesis of my time at Worcester and Chicago. I turned in my 1971 spiffy  black Malibu and learned what struggle was all about.. both in my marriage and at work. Life wasn't so hot!

Then through the grace of God I received a lateral move to Hartford. I became an Instructor in the claim school. Life became good again. I love the stage and was self-actualizing training entry lever recruits from all across the Country.

It was at the Home Office located on Farmington Ave. Hartford I was instructed in Corporate Politics. I excelled and remained happy.. gthen my entrepreneurial spirit began to squirm. I was promoted to Claim School Administrator  and began to become very disenchanted.

After heading up eight schools I bit the bullet and tendered my notice with Mother Aetna! No notice.. BAM..







"I'm out!"

AS ate would reveal things in my life I got a C.E.T.A. position with the Town of Windsor. I was free again and was hired to research and write and photograph a small brochure for the Town Manager, AL ILG. Al left me alone as I continued to grow. Now I was the father of 2  sons.. Ben & Josh. Only one problem. The job was only good for 1 year SO afte much soul searching, the and there Atty Bill Gross said ' God dammit  Potvin "Be an antique dealer!" I took Bills advice to heart and have been happy ever since fore the most part.

If you are unhappy with work and your life.."GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!" I did and today my monthly check from Aetna is a paltry $239.67 a month for life!

"THE ONLY THING IN YOUR LIIFE IS GROWTH." ARE YPOU GOING THE MOTIONS AND ARE DISENCHANTED WITH THINGS.?
Discover your hidden passions and get on with things.

"YOU CAN IF YOU THINKS YOU CAN!" Rev. Doctor N.V. Peale.

I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment