Friday, September 7, 2018

A LOOK AT MY LIFE'S TRAVELS TO ST. LOUIS.



My hallmark date came in 1962 on the first Friday in September I boarded a Greyhound bus destined for the City of Saint Louis, MO. I had been accepted as a transfer student from Worcester Jr. College. My initial journey from the Front St. bus station in Worcester was most revealing.

My first stop was Port Authority, NYC. I considered flying but opted for the bus. Next stop, as I recall, was Harrisburg, PA , then onto West Virginia and Wheeling at 3:30 AM. Next it was onto the Midwest.. Ohio, Indiana then onto Illinois. The one thing that left an impression in my mind was how flat the lands are. No mountains, no kidding! Cornfields galore.

Saint Louis City is situated on the western shore of the Mississippi. Historic in every sense, St Louis offered me a myriad of choices. I found the Frost Campus in Midtown to be in flux with expansion. Saint Louis University, founded in 1818, was old but with an able leader, Paul C. Reinert, SJ. at its helm the college grew..

St. Louis U. hosted a medical school and dental school, business school and law school. The mid-town location saw the trolley on Olive St. as a main artery for a 10c fare.  I was very much alone in the beginning. Then I made friends and had time to decide if this would be for me! It was.

After changing my Major to the College of Arts and Sciences I got on with my show with a major in Geography and a Minor in Political Science. Living in Clemens Hall Dormitory provided an independence for me.
I got work in the bookstore, Lou's Tobacco Shop on Olive and then as mail clerk in the college dorm.

I achieved in public speaking, U.S. Politics and my major Geography. I went to SLU a boy and graduated in February, 1965 a man. My degree catapulted me into the employ of Aetna Casualty & Surety Co. -Worcester, as a Claim representative. My college years taught me the value of being independent. Little did I realize Uncle Sam would come knocking at my door in May of 1966! My college years afforded me a great foundation in every respect.

In today's USA TODAY, my Alma Mater is features on their MONEY page featuring ALEXA! "SLU says it is the first university in the country to bring Alexa-based devices into student rooms!" talk about being hip.

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
CLASS OF 1965  SLU
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585

Frost Campus - SLU



No comments:

Post a Comment