Monday, September 17, 2018

"THAT HAPPY FEELING"

I once knew a Catholic priest who advised me 'alcohol is a depressant." It took me ten years to wean myself off of Martinis and PIVA (Polish for beer!) In 1985, two years after my father's death, I resolved never to imbibe in booze again. "Lips that touch liquor never have touched mine!)

Over the years I have grown emotionally ( with the help of antidepressants." Finally, Dr. Donna Greenberg, a psychiatrist properly diagnosed me as bipolar. Since then Lithium was the preferred cure for depression ( not booze.)

One month ago Dr. Greenberg prescribed another wonder drug Lamotrine. Because of the implications of a rash I have tapered up to 4 pills a day from one.. gradually this stuff is working. Mood swings seem to be less and my energy levels are up. Sure, at 76 I still have my aches and pains (none in my ass, Thank God.) LOL.

Life should be about growth. I am reasonably articulate about things and continually work at it. Today, I feel I am a better person for it.

SO, if you are troubled don't drink the solution! A good Shrink may be able to help you. I have never been afraid to "open up". Doctors cure us, and yes, THAT HAPPY FEELING arrives!

Sincerely,

Robert Louis Potvin
Still Kicking But Not As High
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585

No comments:

Post a Comment