Monday, September 17, 2018

DON'T LEAVE YOUR KIDS A MESS!

As a professional auctioneer and estate clean outer since 1978 I submit we have a problem! Prosperity, working moms and all the rest spells saturation of collectibles in the marketplace. Don't be fooled by extreme prices making news right across the board.

I deal in gold, old coins, stamps, clocks, watches and autographs  and have had fun over the years with staging estate auctions, estate sales and private dealings. But now one very important fact:

THE PARTY IS OVER!


The evidence in making this finding is the proliferation of imports. Once upon a time the word connoisseur had meaning. Today I see one important thing:

HOARDING


As a matter of course I have never had a problem selling anything! I don't think I am greedy as evidenced by my life and lifestyle. When I talk to advanced antique collectors the mantra is:

"I'm letting my kids worry about things."


WRONG!


Nobody knows your favorite things more than yourselves. Hobbies are personal. Sure there are the sharks who swim the waters of the Salvation Army..thrift shops.. tag sales.. and individual solicitations. Remember there truly isn't any market for any antique or collectible. IT'S WHAT THE TRAFFIC WILL BEAR.

Enter Millennials. Sorry. We have other things to do like Text, take a selfie,
get a tattoo and be indifferent to the many values we grew up with. Antique shops and collectibles are everywhere. Vendors have confided in me "The only person making $ is the Landlord. Don't get me wrong. We live by our possessions. Just look at Ernie Boch, Jr. who owns 11 Rolls Royces. The poor boy.

Too many homes I visit are gagging on stuff. Not mine.


As Martin D. Leach used to say: "A word to the wise is sufficient!"


Voice your opinion!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
ESTATE AUCTIONEER MASS LICENSE 2000
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585

No comments:

Post a Comment