Sunday, July 3, 2016

THE ENDURING WENEDEMUTH LEGACY

Growing up in North Brookfield was a real treat for me! From the get-go I was a 'roamer.' I was here, I was there, I was everywhere. From Charlie Purdy to Georgie Reeve my territory grew. In 1954 I was Sunday Telegram paperboy. I loved it as dad drove me around the route.

An obscure Quabbin reservoir neighbor, the Wendemuths of Bates Street housed a trove of bona fide antiques that were mine for the asking as an adult. No less than 15 key-wind clocks graced my antique shop. Dad was my clock mechanic. 'A clock wants to run' exorted dad who was somewhat of a mechanical genius. Everything about the Wendemuths was right from Julia's homemade breads to her doughnuts. It was 1955 and I turned 13.

In 1985 I solicited the estate for auction from Squire Neil Schoonmaker of Ware. The removal task was formidable and I got hell for paying my help $7.00 an hour. I prevailed. Then the big top went up at my Blair House, West Brookfield. From singer and Quabbin crooner Andy May of "Quabbin Moon" fame the thrill of my auction life soared into oblivion. I solicited auction goers and they came from far and wide.

Folks from 10 states came. I was humble and I was great. Every bid was set by the buyers. I never did trumped-up auctions. There was so much stuff we required 2 tents. Auctioneer Kim Estes gave me a hand. Highlights of the auction included a collection of carte de viste photos of Union soldiers taken by Julia's grandfather, a Ware, Ma photographer. A Sandwich Glass salt fetched $400 as two local dealers battled for title.

I think those days are gone the way of E Bay but for that shining moment my Camelot was found in my own back yard. The gross was $14,000 at the time and my memories priceless. Everybody won at my auctions.. my mom. my kids and my valued customers.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment