Monday, July 25, 2016

THE COIN COLLECTORS BIBLE -THE RED BOOK

The Red Book has been around for decades .Each year it is published  by Whitman with meaning and purpose. I was given my first copy in 1955.It took me a few years to realize what this publication stood for. When I saw advanced coin collectors using the book as an authority in numismatics I new I had to adjust my thinking.

Over the years the "Red Book" has become my friend. I even gave out copies to bank trust officers with my compliments.  You must own this publication to answer your coin collecting questions. Recently, I have watched the hucksters on television touting "these Peace Silver dollars are pure silver." NOT SO! They are 90% silver. Eisenhower are 40% silver.

A local banker recently said to me "buy locally." Ditto.  I don't know how some folks can spend a thousand dollars and now know what they are buying? What did P.T. Barnum say? LOL.

Old coins can be rare coins. Freshly minted stuff, while it is attractive, is not necessarily rare as they are mass produced. If anything, learn about the product, join coin clubs, and enjoy thee comradery of coin collecting. Get a small safe and I can't think of a better way of saving money. Honest. Silver dollars   1978 - 1935 can be a wonderful way of squirreling nuts of gold and silver!


 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment