Sunday, July 24, 2016

DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION 1992 NYC

"The Democrats can't get elected if they spend a billion dollars.' These are these words of one Horace Busby, campaign manager for Lyndon Johnson, 1964, in a discussion on campaign financing with seven other former presidential campaign managers on the PBS program, Campaigning  for the Presidency."

And then there was 'Dewey Defeats Truman.'  back 1948. This year it'll be down and dirty for Hillary on the hill.

1992 was a banner political year for me. I traveled the roads of New Hampshire, got credentialed by the Bush While House. I went to Kennebunkport and exploited things to the fullest. You might say politics is in my blood.

 The week of July 11 saw me do a 24 hour junket to the Big Apple. It was awesome. The mood was upbeat and I knew how to maneuver my ways of Broadway. I got there early and stayed late. Senator Ted Kennedy with bride Vickie stole the show. Kennedy's eloquence was second to none.

Son Ben of Seton Hall University fame joined dad in the time of our lives. Congressman Joseph Early obliged with spiffy passes printed for the DNC by the American Bank Note Company. The passes were scintillating to the eyes.

Candidate Hillary Clinton spoke early in the day to some 400 delegates from  Massachusetts. I was one of them! Hillary was ebullient and fresh. At the time I favored the Clintons.

Nothing can be more inspiring than attending  a convention.. a convention of any type. I have attended the American Numismatic Association Convention in New Orleans in 1981 with Ben and Josh along with other coin conventions. By attending conventions you open up your thinking. It is exciting.. that's for sure. But there's one thing better..A Presidential INAUGURATION. Make your plans now. I may just do it in January!



 
 




 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment